Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Songs in the classroom: Somebody I Used to Know

We can't deny that all of us listen to songs in English by American, English and other English-speaking singers. We end up learning their lyrics by heart, humming them, and even singing them in the shower. Songs have proved to be quite a motivating method to teach - and learn - English. This is why, from now on I will be posting some songs to this blog. You will be able to listen to the song and do some exercises designed by me. Then you will be able to check the answers by clicking the link down below. Ready ? Well, the first song in my list is Gotye's Somebody I Used to Know. This song is ideal to practise simple past tenses (both regular and irregular), as well as the structure 'used to + infinitive'. Besides, it tackles the topic of love relationships and their difficulties. Well, are you ready ? Let's have a go at this song. Here you have  the Youtube video to listen to it carefully to do my exercises:

1. Listen to the video above and fill in the gaps of the song by using the simple past of the verbs in the box

be (x4)     can          feel           not have(x2)   happen    say (x2)    tell


"Somebody That I Used To Know"
(feat. Kimbra)

[Gotye:]
Now and then I think of when we _______ (1) together
Like when you _____ (2) you felt so happy you could die
______ (3) myself that you were right for me
But _____ (4) so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember.

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we felt  that we _____(5)  not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I _____ (6)  glad that it was over


You ________ (7) to cut me off
Make out like it never _________ (8)  and that we _____ (9) nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough
No you ________ (10) to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

[Kimbra:]
Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
But had me believing it ____(11) always something that I’d done
But I don't wanna live that way
Reading into every word you say
You ______ (12) that you could let it go
And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know


Chorus
Somebody
(I used to know)
Somebody
(Now you're just somebody that I used to know)

(I used to know)
(That I used to know)
(I used to know)
Somebody 

2) Explain the meaning of the words and expressions in bold:
a)      Now and then
b)      That feels so rough
c)       We could not make sense
d)      You screwed me over
e)      Hung up on somebody

     3) Transform the following expressions of the song using ‘used to’
    a)      I think of when we were together:

    4)  Can you explain the structure: have +someone+ infinitive in the sentence: have      your friends collect your records…? What does it mean? Can you say it in another    way?
5)  What is the meaning of ‘though’ in I guess that I don’t need that though. Can you replace ‘though’ for a different marker?

  6) Look at the lyrics of the song and write down all the vocabulary and expressions    related to relationships 

7) Replace 'that' by another relative beginning with wh- in the phrase: 'somebody that I used to know'. Can you omit the relative ? Why ?
     
      Answers:
 
1) Check the lyrics of the song in this link:
2) a) From time to time / sometimes
b) it is hard, it is difficult to accept
c) we couldn't make the relationship work; we couldn't be together
d) you did something really annoying to me (it can also mean 'to cheat' hinting at an infidelity)
e) feel in love with somebody; be hooked on somebody

3) I think of when we used to be together

4) It is an imperative. It is when you force somebody to do something. A possible rephrasing of the sentence would be 'you made your friends collect your records ...'

5) 'Though' is similar to however. 'However, I guess I don't need that...'

6) 'together', 'right for me', 'love,' 'we couldn't make sense', ' we could still be friends', 'it was over', 'cut me off' , 'be hung up on somebody'

7) That can be replaced by 'who' (or 'whom'). The relative can be omitted because it works as an object and it is followed by the subject 'I', so the phrase 'somebody I used to know' is perfectly acceptable in English
  Well, did you enjoy the song and the exercises ? Maybe you should listen to it again until, eventually, you'll end up humming it over and over again.

2 comments:

  1. He he, thanks for your comment. Why don't you do the exercises and give me some feedback ? I'd love that.

    ReplyDelete