Total Pageviews

Friday, January 29, 2016

World Peace Day

As you know, on the thirtieth of January, the World Peace Day is celebrated all around the world. To celebrate, I will share with you some interesting vocabulary and three songs related to peace.

Peace vocabulary
- The white dove with a branch of olive
From : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Peace_dove.svg

- An origami crane : 
Image taken from : http://justkiddingjusthurts.blogspot.com.es/2012/01/activity-peace-symbols.html

Other recognisable symbols of peace : 

- The peace symbol : 
From : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_symbols
- The white poppy : 
From : http://www.boom1019.com/2013/11/07/the-white-poppy-doesnt-matter/

- The V-sign : This symbol is offensive in some cultures, but it portrays peace in other cultures.

From : http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Wicca%20&%20Witchcraft/peace_3.jpg

- The rainbow flag : 
From : http://www.clker.com/clipart-rainbow-flag-meaning.html

- The broken rifle : 
From : http://www.ppu.org.uk/ppu/rifle.html


- A peacemaker
: a person who convinces others to stop fighting. 

My favourite expression : lay down your arms



Now you can listen to some interesting songs that you can listen to and sing for this day. The songs are ordered according to your level : the first one is for students of low-level students, the second one for intermediate-level students and the last one for upper-intermediate students. I also include one of my favourite songs  by Green Day : 21 Guns. I include some gap-filling exercises. Listen to the video and try to fill in the gaps. Then down below you have the links to the lyrics of the four songs. 


Level 1: What a wonderful World by Armstrong


I see ______ (1) are green, red ________ (2) too
I see them bloom for me and you


And I think to myself what a wonderful world.



I see ________(3) are blue and _________ (4) are white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred ________ (5)
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colours of the __________ (6) so pretty in the sky


Are also on the faces of people going by.

I see _________ (7) shaking hands saying how do you do

But they're really saying I ________ (8) you.
I hear ________ (9)  cry, and I watched them grow


They'll learn much more than I'll ever _______ (10)

And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

Yes, I think to myself what a wonderful world.
              Level 2 Imagine by John Lennon



Imagine there's no heaven

It's  ________ (1) if you try 

No hell below us 

Above us only __________(2)
Imagine all the people 
Living for _________ (3)

Imagine there's no___________ (4)
It isn't hard to do 
Nothing to kill or _______ (5) for 
And no __________ (6) too 
Imagine all the people 
Living life in _________ (7)

You may say I'm a_________ (8)
But I'm not the only one 
I hope someday you'll join us 
And the _____ (9) will be as one 

Imagine no __________ (10)
I wonder if you can 
No need for greed or ________ (11)
A _________ (12) of man 
Imagine all the people 
_________ (13) all the world 

You may say that I'm a ________ 
But I'm not the only one 
I hope someday you'll______ us 
And the _________ will live as one.



Level 3 : "Heal the world"(Michael Jackson)

There's a place in your _______ (1)
and I know that it is ________(2)
and this place could
be much brighter than tomorrow
and if you really try
you'll find there's no need to _____ (3)
in this place you'll feel
there's no hurt or sorrow.

There are ways to get there
if you care enough for the ________ (4)
make a little space make a better place...

Heal the world, make it a better place
for you and for me, and the entire human
______ (5) . There are people dying
if you care enough for the ______
make a better place for you and for me
.
(Chorus)

If you want to know why
there's a love that cannot lie
love is ________ (6), it only cares for
joyful giving. If we try
we shall see in this bliss
we cannot feel fear or dread
we stop _________ (7) and start living
Then it feels that always love's enough for
us growing so make a better world
make a better world...
Chorus
And the dream we were conceived in
will reveal a joyful _______ (8)
and the world we once believed in
will shine again in grace then why do we keep
strangling life wound this earth
crucify its soul though it's plain to _______ (9)
this world is heavenly, be god's glow

We could fly so high,
let our spirits never _______ (10) in my heart
I feel you are all my ________ (11)
create a world with no fear, together we'll cry
happy tears see the _______ (12) turn their swords
into plowshares

We could really get there
if you cared enough for the ______
make a little space to make a better place...
Chorus x3
for you and for me (repeated x10)

Heal the world we live in, save it for our children (x4).



BONUS: One of my favourite songs : 21 Guns.

21 guns (Green Day)

Do you know what's worth (1) ____________  for?
When it's not worth dying for?
Does it take your (2) __________ away
And you feel yourself (3) _______________ ?

Does the pain weigh out the (4) ___________ ?
And you look for a place to hide?
Did someone break your (5) _____________ inside?
You're in ruins

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms, give up the fight
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms into the sky, you and I

When you're at the end of the road
And you lost all (6) _________ of control
And your thoughts have taken their (7) ________
When your mind breaks the spirit of your (8) ___________

Your (9) _________ walks on broken glass
And the hangover doesn't pass
Nothing's ever built to ___________ (10)
You're in ruins

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms, give up the fight
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms into the sky, you and I

Did you try to live on your own
When you (11) ________ down the house and home?
Did you stand too close to the fire
Like a (12) ________ looking for forgiveness from a stone?

When it's time to live and let die
And you can't get _________ (13) try
Something _________ (14) this heart has died
You're in ruins

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms, give up the fight
One, 21 guns Throw up your arms into the sky
One, 21 guns Lay down your arms, give up the fight

One, 21 guns Throw up your arms into the sky, you and I.



2 comments: