Total Pageviews

Friday, June 3, 2016

Let's sing ! I'm a believer.

Howdy everybody ! 
Well, we haven't sung a song for a while, have we ? Well, now it's high time to sing a rocking song that will surely make you move, sing and dance ! It's a pretty famous song : I'm a Believer, a familiar song because it was used in the Shrek film. Listen to the song and do the exercises. As usual, you have the answers down below.





1. Complete the songs with the verbs in the past (try to do it by yourselves; if not, have a look at the verbs down below).

2. Give synonyms for the words underlined in the song in that context : 'meant', 'use' and 'get'

3. Can you explain the structure : the more I gave, the less I got ? Can you say an example of that structure ?

4. Transform the sentence in italics into passive

I am a believer 
I ______ love was
only true in fairy tales 
meant for someone else
but not for me.
Love _____ out to get to me.
That's the way it seems
Disappointment ________
all my dreams.



And then I ______ her face

Now I'm a believer

Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
I'm in love
I'm a believer
I ______ leave her
If I _______

I ______ love was
More or less a given thing
The more I _____ the less
I got, oh yeah
What's the use in trying
All you get is pain
When I ______ sunshine
I ______ rain.

Chorus

What's the use in trying
All you get is pain
When I ______ sunshine
I _______ rain.

Chorus


Then I ­­­­­_____ her face

Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
Now I'm a believer
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I'm a believer
Then I _____ her face
I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
I'm a believer.

       Too difficult ? Here you have the verbs in alphabetical order and in to-infinitive.
        be     can (negative)      get (x2)       give      haunt      see (x3)     think (x2)          
        try    want      (x2)      

Answers :
1. 

2. meant = destined, supposed to be
    use = purpose, objective ; there is no use doing something means 'it is useless to do', 'it       is not worth doing it'
    get = receive 

3. It is a structure that expresses parallel increase or decrease. There is an increase in the first part that contributes to the decrease in the second part. The structure is the + comparative (in the first part) and the + comparative (in the second part).
e.g. The more you study, the easier to pass the exams.
       The more money you have, the better house you can buy.
       The more aggressive you are, the less friends you have

4. Disappointment haunted all my dreams : All my dreams were haunted by disappointment.

Did you like the song and the exercises ? I hope all of you will have enjoyed this wonderful encouraging song. See you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment